Thursday, January 29, 2015

Storytelling




1.23.15
STORYTELLING

In oral storytelling, we very rarely tell a story in sequential order. I may start telling a story about when I went to the store:
I went to the store yesterday. I went in, and was walking through the produce department. And, oh yeah, I was wearing my favorite blue scarf. Anyway, I was by the oranges and the end of my scarf was sitting on the oranges. And the guy who had been standing there picking out oranges when I walked up said, "Hey! I'm here to get some oranges. Not the blues."
But we HEAR it sequentially. We put the scarf on me before I entered and had me walk up to the man standing at the oranges.
In my writing, how do I take advantage of that natural tendency of the brain to organize things into some sort of logical order? Is it even possible? Or will I have to write that way then put it in that order for the reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment